Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Let the Weaning Begin
This past week, Patrick has suddenly lost interest in nursing two out of his four nursing times in the day. Instead of latching on and focusing on me, he will suck for a few seconds then turn away, distracted by something--anything--else. Sometimes he actually screams at me if I try to turn his attention back to nursing.

I've decided it's best not to fight it. I'll still continue to offer to let him eat those two times per day, but if he won't eat, I won't make him. He's apparently decided now that he's nearly a year old that it's time to start weaning. As a result, we picked up some whole milk for him at the store the other day. He got his first introduction to it yesterday, and he loved it. I think at first the different taste combined with the coldness of it freaked him out, but he ended up loving it, drinking it more quickly than he ever drank juice out of a sippy cup. He didn't have enough to replace nursing altogether yet, but I like that he's starting to transition that direction. It's ok with me if he takes his time, though; I think I might actually miss the breastfeeding time when it's gone.

Yesterday afternoon, Patrick pulled his random fussy thing again, so to find a way to distract him, Matt and I took him to the park. We tried one that we used to live right next to but never once actually went to. It wasn't nearly as busy as I expected for a Saturday afternoon. This park turned out to have extensive walking trails, so we headed out walking. It started sprinkling as soon as we got there, but it wasn't a bad shower and couldn't possibly last long. We just walked with an umbrella. A few minutes later, we found ourselves back where we had started. The trail we had chosen was a small loop. As it had just stopped raining, we dropped the umbrella back in the car and headed out on a different branch of the trail.

This time we walked for what seemed like hours. That trail felt like it would never end. Although Matt and I were getting sweaty from the nasty humidity, Patrick was loving it. He kept flailing those arms and kicking his legs and chattering away...although what exactly he was saying or who he was talking to, I'll never know. When he started to get tired, he would just lean his head back against me for a minute (I was carrying him in the Bjorn).

When we got back to the car, we were all exhausted and ready for the air conditioner. Patrick went right down for a nap when we got home, and I followed his cue and did the same. All that fresh air and exercise put me right to sleep. The park made for a fun family outing and a great way to keep Patrick from screaming at us for quite a long time. We're already making plans to do it again sometime.

Labels: ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The park sounds great! Pretty soon the humidity should let off some and then just think how fun it will be. Emjoy the rest of the weekend. It's gorgeous here today and I plan to work outside on the patio with computer and Ipod -- what a deal!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might want to check with your
dentist about the sippy cups.
They will cause decay if you are
not careful what you put in them.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi "Anonymous"
Kathy has a blog primarily to update the family and provide a means of creative expression. We don't welcome anonymous comments questioning our parenting skills. Leave your name, and we can talk, but without it you hold NO water.

Blogger Lauren said...

I'm glad that Patrick has taken to whole milk so well. We did the same thing with Will...a couple of weeks before his first birthday, we started giving him a little. Since he ended up weaning two days before his birthday, it worked out great...he was already used to the cow's milk. You will surely miss breastfeeding in some ways...the closeness and bond you have with Patrick...I still miss that sometimes.

I don't know who wrote the comment about sippy cups, but get real! What little kid doesn't use sippy cups? How do you know that Kathy doesn't know about the "dangers" of sippy cups? She just made a passing reference to it. Kathy, don't even bother with that comment! You're a great mom!

Blogger Noel Green said...

Yes, Kathy - you are a great Mom. I am thankful for your dedication and honesty with everything that comes with parenting (not that I know:)!).

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter