Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Monday, September 18, 2006
My Last Nerve
I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something. My patience fuse is about a millimeter long, and Patrick is doing his darndest to light that fuse in a record amount of time. It's like he knows exactly what drives me crazy and focuses all his time and energy on doing those things, and none of the cute ones.

Although I suppose if I were in a better humor, I might find his attempts to be so annoying kind of cute instead.

It started this morning when he woke up crying before my alarm went off to wake him up for medicine. Waking up to crying is just as jarring to me as waking up to an alarm. Patrick had decided at some point during the night to sleep on his belly, and he woke up in the despised position and unable to roll over (he can roll over, really...but he panics and forgets how when he's actually on his belly). That meant I had to leap up and rescue him right away.

Then when all I wanted to do was go back to sleep, Patrick decided it was time to play, even though there were no toys around and he was just as exhausted as I was. The remote control was a toy, and I had to wrestle it out of his hand before he set it to play only in Spanish or something. Then the spoon for his cereal was a toy; he bit it every time it left his mouth. When he did the same at lunch, I just gave up and let him play with the spoon. It meant he didn't get to eat again until he handed the spoon back to me, but I decided those were fair consequences. Even at his age, Patrick understood Mommy couldn't feed him more food if she didn't have the spoon. It was slow going, but he ate his fill.

By far the worst thing he's done this morning, though, is grit his teeth. He goes through phases with it, where he won't grit them for a week or so and then all of a sudden start up again. Today the teeth gritting is incessant. As soon as I can tell him no and put my finger on his lips or in his mouth to make him stop, he's gritting them again. That is one of the most obnoxious sounds in the world. I absolutely can't stand it, and I think Patrick's learning that.

Ok, the truth is probably that his teeth are bothering him since he's still working on those next two teeth. He's not deliberately trying to bug me but is trying to ease the pain in his mouth. It just has the unfortunate coincidence of falling on the same day that I woke up without any patience. Knowing that doesn't make it any easier for me to handle, but it helps me work harder to hold my temper in check so that I don't take it out on my poor teething baby. If I thought he was doing any of this on purpose, though, it would be time to start disciplining him, young as he is.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might try giving him a spoon
and you take a spoon. then when
he is playing with his you can
feed him.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter