Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Butting Heads
Ack. Did you know that leech on my front is really a little, tiny person? With a mind of his own? How did that happen? Oh, yeah, it probably stems from when I was little. I'm sure my mom cursed me: "When you grow up, you're going to have one just like you." At least that means I'm quite adept at reading his mind:
You want me to open my mouth to eat that cereal? Then no matter how hungry I get, there's no way you can get me to open my mouth. In fact, I'm going to do that teeth-gritting thing you hate so much instead. I can't believe you snuck that spoon in my mouth! Well, to get back at you, I'm not going to let you have the spoon back. And there's no way you're going to make me swallow that cereal!

Now you want me to eat my favorite food, banana? Uh-uh! Instead, I think I'll smush the banana in my hands and smear it everywhere--but it's not going to make it in my mouth!

I can't believe you just put me on my belly to make me try crawling! Listen to me scream instead. Look, I'm so mad at you that my legs are trembling. But as soon as you leave me alone in my crib, I'll flip to my belly and push myself backwards with my hands all around my crib. There's no way I'm letting you think I actually like it on my belly, though! Or that I'm basically capable of crawling.

You want me to teethe on that weird new thing you call a pacifier? Well, it does look like a neat toy, so I'll grudgingly take it from you. But don't think I'll figure out how it's supposed to go in my mouth. I'd much rather chew on a finger, preferably yours, Mommy. And if that doesn't work, I know how to scream.

I hate you Mommy! I can't believe you're trying to make me do the very things I want or need to do! How dare you! Now hold me--all day long. NO, don't put me down! Who said you could eat? Or go to the bathroom? What am I supposed to do without a hand in your hair?
I think we have the makings of a hellacious toddler on our hands. I don't even want to think about the trouble he'll get himself into once he starts crawling and has infinitely more ways to defy me available to him.
But he's still so darn cute that I don't usually even want to put him down, even when he's tried my patience one too many times in the last five minutes. It's killing me to discipline him, even in the little ways I've had to so far, but if he thinks his will is strong, he's messing with the wrong Mommy. Where do you think you got it after all, little man?

Labels: , ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That 1st picture looks like he is thinking, "Boy, I'm putting over Mom today," and he looks like he is hiding a "He,he" behind his hand. Sure is cute when you're not Mommy.Grammy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is an adorable post :) I can relate to so much of it and WOW your pictures are looking great Kathy!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember he has two strong willed parents he takes after, so look out!!:) He's just to cute to be doing those terrible things you are accusing him of anyway. I think you must be mistaken, just look at that sweet face. He's Gigi's little baby boy, are you sure??

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures. I know some days can be trying when they are learning their personalities! I do have to agree with your last statement. He IS dealing with the wrong mommy if he thinks that he can win a battle of wills. He is such a sweetheart and loving boy, I'm sure this is just a short stage. Hang in there!

Blogger Lauren said...

I can SO relate! Isn't it fun (ha ha!)? Good luck to you, my friend.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter