Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Saturday, September 16, 2006
Wait...September 15?
First of all, the two firsts I forgot yesterday:

1. First whistle. All he has to do is purse his lips and breathe and he can already whistle better than I ever could.

2. First wave. Appropriately, he imitated his first wave hi and bye at the grocery store the other night, around witnesses. It's still hit and miss, but he's trying.

Sometimes now, though, he will wave to mean something else. It finally dawned on me last night as he kept looking toward me piteously and waving that he might associate waving with me, since I'm always waving at him to get him to imitate me, and that he might be calling for me. All I had to do was get close to him, close enough to touch, and he was content again.

Along the same lines, Patrick has been clingier than ever the last few days. Yesterday he couldn't be happy unless I was no more than an arm's reach away, and preferably holding him. He even shrieked when Daddy tried to hold him at one point. He only wanted me to hold him. That moment was both heart-warming and heart-breaking at once. I love that he's so attached to me, but it killed me that he didn't want his daddy, even if the moment was short-lived.

A few minutes after we put Patrick to bed last night, we heard a loud boom right outside our house. The second time it happened, Matt went outside to investigate. I was nervous about it when he anxiously called for me almost immediately. As soon as I got outside, though, I realized he wasn't calling me out of anxiety but excitement. There were fireworks going off at the country club across the street from our neighborhood. Where our house is located in the neighborhood, there's nothing but a big empty field between it and the country club. We had the best view of the fireworks.

We decided it was enough of an occasion to get Patrick back up and see how he reacted to the fireworks. He was perfectly content to sit on my lap and watch in awe. The loud booms didn't faze him in the least.

While we were outside watching, all of our neighbors came out to see what the noises were about too. It was so much fun having an impromptu neighborhood get-together. Of course, we're really not sure as to why they chose last night to have a fireworks show. We suspect that these were left over from the July 4th show that never happened due to weather. One neighbor suggested that perhaps they chose last night to finally set them off because today is Mexico's Independence Day. If they couldn't celebrate America's freedom, then why not Mexico's? Actually, given the high Hispanic population around here, that guess is entirely likely. I wonder if we'll ever know the truth, but it seems we're always up for a good fireworks show, no matter how random it seems.

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the fireworks were in honor or Ann Richards, since she has passed away. I can hardly wait to see all of you for Patrick's birthday, hope he remembers his Big Spring grandparents. love you

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter