Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Monday, March 27, 2006
Demon Child
After all that bragging about our little angel yesterday, someone must have switched the good Patrick with an evil look-alike spawned straight from Hell. Not really, but it was an incredibly tough day starting not long after I blogged. Apparently Patrick's budding teeth began to hurt unbearably. Tylenol was not enough to even dull the pain; Baby Orajel just made him scream more (I don't think he likes the taste). One of the few things that distracted him at all was walking him back and forth around the house. My back and feet hurt today after all that walking and carrying. Even then, seeing the same few rooms in our house could only distract him so long. We tried the swing, and miraculously he didn't throw up after swinging yesterday. It also worked temporarily, and we were grateful for the short reprieve.

Finally Matt went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few other things, so he grabbed some teething tablets (as Lauren suggested long ago) while he was there. After several of those and a feeding which usually relaxes him, he was able to doze off for about an hour. That was the only nap he had had since church. He hadn't been able to sleep because of the pain, and he was making himself so tired that he was having trouble sleeping even when he wasn't hurting. When he woke up from his nap, he was in pain yet again. More Tylenol, more walking, and another feeding did the trick, and he fell asleep on me again, clearly completely exhausted. He was completely sprawled out across my belly. We carefully put him to bed (it was after 10 pm by now), without giving him a bath or changing his clothes or anything, and prayed he could get a little sleep.

He woke up again at midnight, so we tried one more feeding (his vitamin bottle) with some of the teething tablets in it. He was so drowsy when he finished that I thought it was a great time to take care of his nails again. I'd cut them not long ago, but they were apparently still long and sharp enough to scratch; he had little cuts all around his eyes from grabbing at them in pain. My plan worked great for one hand--I don't think he even knew what I was doing. But then it dawned on him as I reached for the second hand, and he fought and screamed with everything he had as I finished that second hand. It took another ten minutes of pacing to calm him down enough to put him back to bed.

Fortunately that was the end of the teething troubles up until now. He slept really well, waking up several hours later than normal for his morning feeding, and he's been sleeping most of today since. I'm glad he likes to balance his needy days. The only problem is that his unusual sleeping and eating patterns yesterday and today have completely thrown off any semblance of a routine. I don't work well when I don't know what to expect when, so I feel a little lost today.

Sorry for the lack of pictures the last few days. Between the fussiness and scratching at his eyes, he's been a bit unphotogenic lately. As soon as he turns back into sweet angel baby, I'll get more pictures. Besides, I have a feeling the huge collage from Friday night should tide everyone over for a few more days.

Hey, I just got some great news! My old school district called saying it appears as though I never cashed one of the checks they sent me over the summer, the rest of last year's pay. They'd like to reissue that paycheck! It's like winning the lottery (only with four digits instead of seven). :) What a great day I'm having!

Labels:



1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I'm sorry you had such a trying day. But I'm glad that it seems as though the teething tablets worked at least a little bit! Hang in there...

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter