Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Monday, March 20, 2006
Every Time
(Warning: I have a feeling only my Aunt Judy will appreciate this first paragraph. If your sense of humor isn't the same as Aunt Judy's, you may want to skip it. If you don't know my Aunt Judy, you've been warned; proceed at your own risk.)

Every time I put Patrick in his high chair for a meal, it happens. It is no longer Matt's presence that clears out Patrick's system but the high chair, otherwise known as his throne, instead. Patrick will suddenly stop opening his mouth for food, get a distracted look on his face, stare over my shoulder, and concentrate really hard. Usually his face will turn red also. It's not until I hear the splat that I can continue to feed him. I'm starting to wonder if he's trying to make room for more food. Sometimes he works so hard to make that room that he makes himself spit up too. It's kind of mean, but I have to laugh at him when I see that. His solid food diapers are, as predicted, different, more solid and a different smell. The smell is contained better in the diaper when it's on him, to the point where Matt and I debate whether it's truly dirty, but they stink much, much worse when off him. His Diaper Genie cannot contain this smell at all. And to make matters worse, Matt took on a nice project this weekend of putting fans up in our bedroom and Patrick's room. Now the fan can constantly circulate that poopy smell throughout his room and sometimes out into the rest of the house too. Patrick's Oust fan is trying desperately to keep up, but it's learning quickly that it can't quite cut it. I almost pity it for its continued meager efforts when it knows it will fall so short of its monumental task.

On a much sadder note, I found out a little while ago that my sister-in-law's mother passed away yesterday evening. She had been suffering from cancer for some time, and the family knew this was imminent, but that does not make it any less tragic. Hearing the news from my mother in particular has hit me hard today. My sister-in-law is not much older than me, and her mother wasn't much older than my mother. It's shocking to think of someone as young as we are having to go through the loss of a parent. But at the same time, I get the feeling that it is no easier knowing your parents have lived a full life and have them pass away more naturally of old age. My parents are such an important part of my life that as each day passes, I grow closer to them. That will only make it harder to live life without them. I don't even want to think about that possibility. I hate having this reality check for that reason, but at least it is reminding me to value my parents so much more and cherish each day I get to keep them around.

In Patrick news, we were able to take another big step last night. We'd had his bed elevated since we brought him home to help control his acid reflux. Last night, though, we leveled it out again. He's started squirming so much in his bed that he would rotate himself upside down and all sorts of crazy directions regularly. The elevation doesn't work so well when his head is at the low end, so we decided he would be better off having his bed level. That makes him one step closer to being completely normal.

By the way, Patrick slept much better last night. He didn't wake up at 5-ish like he did over the weekend. I'm guessing it's the thunderstorm we had on and off all morning. The clouds kept the sun from being as bright so early, and the white noise from the rain kept him drowsy. I know both Matt and I sleep better when it's raining, so it's only logical for it to do the same for Patrick. Matt and I feel much better rested after the long, uninterrupted sleep; Patrick must too, based on how strongly he's resisting taking his nap right now. I'm not sure...is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Will does the pooping-while-eating thing a lot, too. Just part of being a baby, I guess! I love the yawning picture you posted of Patrick with the giraffe--so cute! His mouth is like a little "o."

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The news about Denise has also been tough for me -- for much the same reasons. She was actually younger than I am with so much left to live for. We all need to cherish each day and the blessings of our family.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter