Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Friday, February 02, 2007
Probably the Last Angie Post
I wanted to say something yesterday, but it was too full of good and happy news to ruin with something sad. Last night we handed Angie over to a new family.

We had been discussing the idea for some time, probably since we found out I was pregnant. But we were reluctant to make the decision to give her away. As frustating as she could be at times, she was also really sweet. And watching her interact with Patrick was enough to delay anything that would make either of them sad.

Then in the last few days as the morning sickness just got worse and worse, we knew something had to be done. I was fighting to do the bare minimum in Patrick's care. I couldn't think about getting up often to take a not-yet-potty-trained dog outside. Nor was I capable of picking up her messes when she didn't make it outside in time. She was spending most of the mornings in her pen simply because I couldn't be an adequate puppy mommy. When the worst of the morning sickness hit yesterday, I knew the time had come to make the inevitable difficult decision.

Things moved quickly after that. Matt had already mentioned our predicament around work and found somebody who was looking for a puppy to befriend their dog. They are also expecting a baby soon and needed somebody to give the dog the attention that they will transfer to the new baby (from what I understand). Angie was exactly what we were looking for. By lunchtime yesterday, plans were already in the works for them to come pick her up last night.

After meeting them, I feel better about the decision. They are nice people and Angie took to them right away. Matt told me today that he was told she got along with the other dog quite well, even sleeping curled up next to her, and was a perfect angel for them.

I'll be honest that I'm a little guilty about giving our puppy away. She was a part of our family, and it breaks my heart to think we could just pass her off because we didn't want to take care of her anymore, even though that's a huge oversimplification of the truth. I feel awful for Patrick, who expected Angie to come bounding in his room every time I got him out of his crib today. He was calling for her as he played and ate. I know he'll forget we ever had her in a few days, but until then he's going to miss her.

Honestly, I miss her too. All of a sudden I can remember how cute and sweet she could be, especially when she was sleepy. I have to make myself remember the puppy poop piles all over the house and dragging her behind me as I walked because she was latched on to my pants and the whining in the mornings and trying to steal Patrick's food out of his hands. I'll probably miss her for a long time, but I know we made the right decision. She is in good hands, with better and more consistent care and attention and a puppy friend. She'll have a new little one to play with in a few months, and by then she will have forgotten all about us. As difficult as this decision was, it was definitely the best one for Angie. The rest of us will cope and move on. I just hope another dog is in our future eventually.




Patrick calling Angie

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the dog....wish I could have been of help in someway.
Regarding the sonogram; it was so very cute and it's great that Patrick got to share the moment with you both. Toddlers especially are easily amused and the expressions on their face with the most minimal things is priceless. So I'm sure seing his sibling surely caught his attention. Valerie

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know letting Angie go was a tough decision, but it sounds like she is in a nice family and will get all the love and attention puppies need. I'm sure your family will enjoy another dog when it's a better time for you all.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter