Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Saturday, February 24, 2007
Hollow Legs
When I was a young adolescent, I had an insatiable appetite. I ate like a grown man, and I was just a petite little girl. My parents would joke that they were feeding me to fill my hollow leg. I appreciate their sense of humor about it, because I'm starting to understand just how frustrating it could be. Patrick seems to have inherited the gene for hollow legs.

Recently we realized Patrick seemed ready to graduate to more normal meals instead of just baby food. We appropriately picked up some Gerber's Graduates to try. Although he's not quite capable of feeding them to himself yet, he is certainly ready to eat food that's not pureed. The problem is that these toddler-sized TV dinners aren't sized for kids with hollow legs. Patrick can devour one and still act like he hasn't eaten in days. Today for lunch, Patrick easily finished off one of the meals followed by a regular jar of baby food and then kept begging. I gave him the rest of my PBJ sandwich that I couldn't finish--about half--and then let him munch on some fruit puffs until he gave up. Even after that, I wonder if he just got bored of eating before he got totally full. And this is the routine for every meal. I don't know what we're going to do when he hits his teenage years; he's going to have to get a job just to help us afford to feed him.

Along the same lines, we discovered a couple of days ago that he has two more teeth, the cuspid (?)/canine teeth on the top. In retrospect, I wonder now if some of the change in sleep patterns he has had recently are due in part to teething. He showed no other signs, though, so I guess they weren't as painful as I would expect.

His naps have begun to get better since I found the teeth, but he still acts like he's needing less sleep than ever. He made it all day the other day with just one nap. He'd slept particularly late that morning and was ready for bed a bit early, but that's still a huge milestone for him. It won't be long until his regular schedule will include only one nap. I'm proud he's growing up, but I don't think I'm quite as fond of this milestone as some others.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes...the hollow leg. I remember those days VERY well. Add 3 siblings, and I felt I would live between the grocery store and the kitchen for the rest of my life! :) I'm glad Patrick is such a good little eater. He certainly does burn it all off, just like you do!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter