Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Weight Check #1
Yeah, I know. You don't have to say it. I've blogged in the middle of the day today instead of waiting until tonight. You see, there's good TV on tonight, and I plan to give it my full attention. Besides, our daily routine is already so off that I might as well change one more thing.

The day started at 7:00 this morning as usual. But today I didn't get my typical morning nap. I had to shower and get prettied up for the day since we had a doctor's appointment, an odd morning one as the afternoon was already filled when I made the appointment. Patrick got a short nap while I showered, but he wasn't too thrilled to be awakened after less than an hour of sleep.

Despite some nasty traffic, we made it to the doctor's office early again. This time they were able to take us right in, which threw off my plan to stuff him full of Cheerios while we waited, which would have given his weight a little extra boost. It turns out we didn't really need that extra boost. The nurse was thrilled with his weight gain from last month--16 lbs, 12.4 oz (almost exactly a pound more than last month). That's essentially putting on weight three times as fast as he had been.

Patrick was in a super clingy mood, so he needed some comforting and holding while we waited on the nurse to return with his flu shot. Of course he cried when she held him down and gave him his shot, but only a few minutes of holding again and he was content.

I was a little surprised to be offered a flu shot myself. Because of Patrick's high risk for RSV and the fact that he won't be getting the recommended Synagis shots, she suggested I get a flu shot, too. That way I'll be less likely to get something that I pass on to Patrick. I hadn't planned to get one this year, but she made it pretty easy for me.

I discovered that there are several really good reasons to get your flu shot at your child's pediatrician's office. The nurse was so used to giving shots to babies and children that she knew how to be incredibly gentle. I've never had such an easy shot before. Mosquito bites have hurt worse. The other really cool benefit is that I'm now sporting a trendy Snoopy Band-aid on my arm. Where else would I get one of those with a flu shot?

The appointment was much easier than I'd even hoped and we were back home only a half hour after our appointment was scheduled to start. The rest of the day will be the frustrating part. Patrick's schedule is so out of whack that I'm not sure what he needs. He fussed at me during lunch, flinging his spoon and apple-blueberry Gerber's all over the place--me, himself, his high chair, the floor. It was a huge purple mess. I guess he was just too tired to eat because he was all too happy to be put down for a nap a few minutes later.

That was about an hour ago, though, and now he's up playing again. I think he's still tired, but it's hard to tell. He should still be tired. I'm not good at this play-it-by-ear thing anymore, now that he's so settled in a normal routine. I'm hoping he'll take a good nap soon, though, because I'd love to catch a catnap at the same time.

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Oh cool @ the bandaid.. I want a snoopy one ..lol Sounds like an alright day all together and YAY @ patricks weight.. that is great news!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like Patrick is doing very well on his weight. You and Matt must be doing a great job stuffing him! :) It's also a good idea to get a flu shot. I'm glad your pediatrician made it so easy for you.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter