Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Treading Water
Patrick sorted a shape today! That's right. He picked up the blue circle shape and dropped it right through the blue circle hole. It looked deliberate, enough that he didn't seem at all surprised that it went through. He looked at me like I was crazy for getting excited for him. He hasn't repeated it since, though.
That truly is the only progress he has made recently, though. At less than two weeks from his first birthday, I am beginning to get discouraged. Over the weekend, Matt caught some video of Patrick trying to crawl. I've been debating whether to post it, because while it is funny, it's really very sad. This video closely resembles the tummy time video. He's on his belly doing nothing but screaming. Now he can slowly squirm a few inches backwards, but it doesn't satisfy his desire to be mobile.

I sometimes wonder about his desire to be mobile too, though. He acts much of the time like he couldn't care less whether he can ever move anywhere on his own. He's happy whining until I pick him up and take him where he wants to go.

When Matt and I try to help him crawl at all, he gets angry and upset. He doesn't want us to put him on his belly, no matter what our intentions are. But he'll roll over onto his belly happily on his own all the time now. He just screams at us if he decides he doesn't want to be on his belly anymore and can't or won't roll back over on his own.

I've wondered if maybe he just isn't physically capable of crawling, so I've tried encouraging him to try to walk instead. Not only does he refuse to try standing on his own, clutching at my hands, hair, or anything within arm's reach to hold himself up, but he won't move his legs at all when he's standing up. He'd rather fall on the floor when he's standing at the table (see picture above) instead of moving a foot an inch or two to keep his balance.

I know I have to keep in mind that all babies progress at their own rate. It's just that I already worry about him being so far behind. I don't know of any babies without serious developmental delays that aren't at least crawling at a year. Many are already walking. I know I need to factor in his prematurity, but even then, nearly all 9 1/2 month-olds are crawling too. Patrick is making no moves indicating crawling is even in the near future.

It's very discouraging to me to see the utter lack of progress he is making in almost every area. He has gotten no better at manipulating that sippy cup; he still needs my help to tip it up far enough to sip out of it. I still have to stay close when he stands at the table because of how often he falls. He even still falls while he's sitting once every day or so. We haven't even bothered with moving his bed down a level; it's at the exact same place it was the first time he slept in it. Why bother if he doesn't even pull himself to a sitting position on his own? It's not like he's going to suddenly find a way to climb out.

I don't know what to do, if there even is anything I can do. I feel helpless, unable to do anything to help him get ready for crawling or walking. It's not like I'd really know what to do if there was something. His doctor wasn't worried the last time he saw Patrick, so I suppose I shouldn't worry either. Still...I can't help it. I'm his mother, and that is a major part of my job, after all.

I'm sorry for the "woe is me" post today, but this is what has been on my mind lately. I'm worried, and I can't keep posting only the fun stories and thoughts about Patrick when that's not really what's going on.

Labels: , ,



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is so cute! I'm glad my post made you feel better. :-) He's a good stander though and knowing where the blue piece should go is quite a milestone. I've always heard that the physical milestones are not related to cognitive abilty, so he sounds like one smart little guy who just might take a bit longer on the physical part. He'll get there! :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy, you also have to remember that he doesn't have a real incentive to be mobile, as you say, you're just a scream away,and there aren't any children he wants to imitate around so he just hasn't felt the need. One day he will,and you will wish for these days.

Blogger Unknown said...

My pediatrician won't even consider crawling a milestone- many babies don't even do it!!! As for the standing, I remember reading Dooce's blog and her baby took quite a while to as well. I think it's actually more common than you'd think!! (I just found your blog through Hannahs)

Blogger Tonya said...

Don't worry so much Kathy, Like you have already said babies do things in their own time and like "girl from florida" said.. some babies NEVER crawl.. Randie never did take to the sippy cup.. I finally got fed up with trying to give it to her that I bought those sippy cups with the little straws in them instead and she loves that!!! She has never drank properly out of a standard, have to tip it back sippy.

Blogger Texasholly said...

Don't worry about the not walking/crawling thing. My nephew just started crawling a few weeks before his first birthday (Sept. 9). He still isn't walking or pulling himself up on things or anything. Their pediatrician told them it was quite common and not to worry about it AT ALL.

Blogger Unknown said...

Kathy,
I needed a litle lift so I turned to your blog. Patrick is adorable. Kathy, Sarah never crawled. She walked when she was 14 months old and her grandmother had her to herself for a little while. She could roll anywhere she wanted to go at this incredible speed with unfailing accuracy. Now we could debate whether or not she is fine all the time, but she walks, talks, and is about to graduate from Pharmacy School with a PharD. That rolling thing was the craziest thing you have ever seen! Patrick is getting exactly where he wants to go very effectively. Hang in there.
Aunt Debbie

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter