Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Bouncing the Bunny
Yesterday Patrick decided he was going to see what it was like to not take any naps. (Definitely NOT my idea, by the way!) He delayed going down for his morning nap and still woke up at the exact time as normal--within about a minute anyway. As I was napping too, I can't guarantee he slept; he was quiet, though, which suggests that was the case. His afternoon naptime came, and he went down for it easily. Almost an hour later when I went to take my shower, though, he was still talking loudly in his crib. He was still talking (or talking again) when I got out of the shower. He might have slept for the twenty minutes I couldn't hear him, but I doubt it.

I gave up and got him out of his crib. We went about our normal afternoon routine, and about the time he normally takes a short evening nap, he started getting fussy and clingy again. I put him down for another nap. He definitely did not fall asleep this time, and I gave up and rescued him after almost an hour.
By the time 7:00 rolled around, he was more than ready for bed. Usually we keep him up until about 8:00, and sometimes even later, but he was so exhausted last night after not napping all day that 7:00 probably felt all too late to him. He dropped right off to sleep.

I expected him to sleep that extra hour this morning, waking up at the normal time. Nope. He was awake by 7:00 this morning when his daddy checked on him. He went down for his morning nap later than even yesterday and still woke up at the exact same time. I don't have high hopes for his afternoon nap.

I have two theories for the sudden change in sleep patterns. One is the obvious, that he is finally growing out of the need to sleep 16 or more hours each day. I knew it was bound to happen eventually, although I suspected it would be a more gradual transition than all of a sudden in one day.

The other theory is the more likely one. He discovered a new toy yesterday, and he refused to let go of it for either of his afternoon naps. I relented and let him take it to bed with him. I think he was too busy playing with it to want to fall asleep. It did not follow him to bed last night or this morning, and I'm not letting him take it to bed this afternoon either. We'll see if my theory is correct.

So what toy could possibly be so wonderful that Patrick refuses to let go of it for anything but bathtime (and then only reluctantly)? It is a stuffed toy my mom sent in an Easter care package when I was in college. It was goofy then, so I decided to keep it. I never imagined it would become my future child's favorite toy. It is a bunny rabbit, sort of, with a bright pink butt, and it squeaks...or squeals...or something. It's actually pretty hard to describe. Here, just watch the video. You'll figure out soon enough exactly what the appeal is.


Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Noel said...

That video is way too cute!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures of Patrick, I guess he likes the noise the bunny makes? Do you still like the noise the bunny makes?:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a funny video! It's the energizer bunny -- just like your little no-nap boy. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter