Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Two Steps Forward, One Step Back
Step One

Yesterday was the first day we dared try transition Patrick from two afternoon naps down to one. He was ready for his first nap later than usual and then slept much longer than normal. By the time he woke up, it was already late afternoon. He would have been ready for his late afternoon nap just an hour or so before bedtime, so Matt and I decided it would be best to work at keeping him up all the way until a more reasonable bedtime. He ended up heading to bed a little earlier than normal, but he was ready to sleep by that time. It seems a little foolish now to try changing his schedule right before we take a trip, but I thought it was best to embrace the opportunity, regardless of when it presented itself.

Step Two

During this morning's playtime, Patrick stacked four out of the five rings on his ring stacker, one right after the other. Before this morning, he would play with one ring on it at a time. I'll admit that I had to hand him the rings in order today, but instead of ignoring the offering or looking at me like I was crazy, he easily stacked each one of them as I handed them over. His aim is more sure with ringing the stacker each day too. He'll be tired of this toy before long; it's getting so easy for him.

The Step Back

For the first time in months, both Patrick and I stink like spit-up today. As soon as he'd finished nursing this morning, he blew up all over me twice. I'd almost forgotten what that pure milk spit-up smelled like. Funny, I didn't miss it any. Since then he has repeatedly spit up his lunch all over himself--yucky green bean spit-up. I would worry about him, but I think I know what's causing the relapse. After abstaining for months, yesterday I had caffeine. It was a last resort for the killer headache I mentioned yesterday. It worked on the headache, but I'd forgotten that caffeine is one of the worst things I can do for his reflux. Once the caffeine is gone from my milk and out of his system, I'm sure things will return to normal. Unfortunately, he has to ride five hours in a car later today. That can't help his already upset tummy.

In other news, Patrick got his first card for his first birthday yesterday. (Thank you Uncle Daniel and Aunt Jennifer for the promptness!) He went with me to get the mail, and he showed instant interest in that purple envelope. He started by trying to open it with his hands.

When that didn't work, he tried the ever-trusty foot. He soon discovered that this was one task where the foot wasn't particularly helpful.

So he gave up and tried the shake method to figure out what the purple envelope might be concealing.

He was very disappointed when he learned he wouldn't be able to open it yet. His birthday isn't until Saturday, so we will take the card and the gift he has waiting from Great-Grandma Fisher with us to Dallas. The good news is that he has shown incredible patience once the envelope left his sight. I'm afraid I haven't been quite as patient. At least he hasn't caught me shaking his presents!

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! He really does look like a 1-year-old in these pics. What a cutie! I'm sure he will have a fun time at his party.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter