Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Sunday, March 12, 2006
Home Sweet Home
We returned home this evening from the chaos that is a family reunion. It was sad leaving, especially when most of the family gets to stay longer, but there is something sweet and comforting about returning to my own home. Patrick was also relieved to be home. He started fussing when the car stopped in the garage and stopped again after I'd brought him into the house and he recognized where he was. Normally he cries when he is left in his car seat after we bring him into the house, so for him to stop crying in the same situation is significant. He was all smiles for quite a while after that. He clearly enjoyed all the socialization with the new people around this weekend, but I think it started to get overwhelming after a while. There was just too much "newness" with new people and unfamiliar settings and routines. He must like being back home in a familiar environment with familiar people and routines again.

I feel the same way, actually. I love my crazy family and enjoy spending time with them, especially the ones who live far away that I only get to see every few years. I spend too much time basically alone, however, to thrive on that much noise and chaos for long periods of time. That means as much as I dread leaving them, I also feel some sense of relief in the resulting quiet. In a way, it makes me love both being with my family and being alone more. I suppose that is a sign of a good family, when they can unknowingly help me be more content in any situation.

Patrick really seemed to love all his extended family. Matt and I have a theory that Patrick is a good judge of character. The people Patrick gets the most attached to are the sweetest people, even if they don't naturally come across that way. It means a lot to me that he so quickly became attached to my aunts and uncles, and his aunts and uncles and great-grandmother, and all the other even more extended family he met. I think that says something about the people I'm related to. I must say I'm lucky to be related to such great people, both by blood and by marriage.

Labels:



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Matt add so much to our family, too! We really appreciate you and the great family you already are. We are blessed by you, and you are lucky to have two very wonderful families to bless your lives.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter