Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Thursday, March 09, 2006
Storytime
Gather 'round everyone for stories of our favorite hero, Patrick. Yesterday was a day filled with anecdotes of Patrick being cute. I've narrowed it down to two of the best. I'll title them "Bathtime" and "Mommy Hairs."

Bathtime

Patrick was inexplicably fussy when it came time for his bath today. He didn't seem mad when he woke up from his nap and I started to get him ready for his bath, usually his favorite time of day. I changed him out of a very wet diaper, and the screaming began. It didn't sound like a scream of pain or hunger, just frustration at something mysterious.

The crying continued throughout his bath, which is normally the most peaceful time of the day. He squirmed and squirmed--not good when I'm trying to hold onto a slippery, wet baby. He hit his head on the side of the tub several times because I couldn't hold all his flailing limbs away from the edges at once (side note: could it be time for a bigger tub?). Of course, that only made him madder, and he made sure to let me know how he felt. I'm quite sure he was angry with me based on what happened next.

Patrick peed. I know that's not unusual for a baby boy, but Patrick stopped doing that in the tub ages ago. He only ever peed during his bath if he had been awakened early from a nap for a bath or if he hadn't wet his diaper recently. Neither was an issue today. Just before he peed, he arched his back, turning himself to face directly at me; he usually faces the other direction so he can watch the baby in the mirror. When I caught the pee with the washcloth, keeping it from soaking me, he waited until I moved the washcloth again, giving him a clear shot to try again. And he peed again. There wasn't enough force behind the arc to think he just needed to go that badly. It looked like he was forcing himself to go, as if the entire situation was deliberate. Could it be that he was trying to pee on Mommy? I'll never know, but I'll always have my suspicions.

Mommy Hairs

I've mentioned before that Patrick seems to always be clutching at least one of my hairs. As soon as I extract the mini-mommy-hairball from his fist, more miraculously appear. Matt and I joke that he's storing them somewhere. One day we'll lift the mattress in his crib, and a full-sized model of me made out of hair will fall out.

This evening we may have unraveled some of the mystery of the Mommy hairs. Obviously he collects some of the hairs when he eats. He enjoys clutching my hair with one hand then. I'm used to it now, and it does explain some of the hair we find him with. This evening, though, I was holding him while he was being social. He was balancing on his feet while leaning against me, chest to chest. He'd reached one arm around my upper arm, supposedly for extra balance. Matt jokingly commented, "I wonder if he's looking for hairs you've shedded on your back." (There are always several loose hairs stuck to the back of my shirt.) We couldn't help but laugh when he pulled his arm back around to the front, and sure enough, he had a hair in his fist. We had pulled one out of that hand only minutes earlier, so he had definitely grabbed it off my back. That explains that part of the mystery! Now if we could only figure out what he's planning to do with all the hair...

By the way, Matt, Patrick, and I are heading out of town this evening for my brother's wedding in Dallas. I will try to continue blogging every day--I don't want to break this great streak I'm on--but we have a busy schedule, and it may be difficult to find time to blog every day. At the very least, you can expect some adorable pictures from the wedding when we get back. Patrick in a little boy tux...that'll get you to check back later if nothing else will!

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter