Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
The Silver Lining
As I sit here listening to Patrick scream as he avoids a desperately-needed nap, I wish I could call Matt and let loose all my complaints on him. This is tougher even than I imagined, so I guess I should take a Pollyanna perspective on the matter and try to look at the bright side. So what's good about not having Matt around?

1. I get that huge queen-sized bed to myself and don't have to worry about kicking him when I roll over in the middle of the night or having him steal my pillow.

2. I get way more of Patrick's hugs and kisses.

3. I finally learned how to install a carseat since Matt uninstalled the seat out of our car before he left, but the new car it was going in wasn't home at the time. Now that I know I can do it, I'm not as dependent on Matt to take care of that every time.

4. I got a much larger portion of the shells and cheese pasta I love so much at dinner last night.

5. I can take advantage of all those free incoming and evening minutes with all the phone calls to and from Matt.

6. Ummm...I can't think of any more. How sad is that? I miss my husband.

Patrick has been a good kid, other than this nap fiasco. He thoroughly enjoyed when I helped him pet Dusty, my parents' old and senile cat. I was worried about him petting too hard, especially because even when Dusty was more "with it," she was liable to scratch at any moment. With my hand guiding Patrick's, though, he was able to pet her gently, and they both seemed to enjoy it. Patrick loves animals and shows absolutely no fear of them. I think it's sweet, but I hope he learns soon when he can trust animals and when he can't, before he learns the hard way.
The other big event from today was a visit with my friend Shannon. We've been friends since college, but had lost touch when I graduated (I'm bad about that). We rediscovered each other through blogging, even back before I started my own blog. We were both pregnant at the time and expecting within weeks of each other. It was great having a pregnant friend to share experiences with, even though we didn't get a chance to see each other until today. She also lives in the Dallas area, so we made plans to get together for lunch. It was a great time. Her daughter Audrey is adorable. (By the way, Audrey is exactly six weeks younger than Patrick.) It was a lot of fun catching up, talking mommy talk, and watching our babies interact. Although the kids only eyed each other from time to time during lunch, we let them get closer to each other when we were all done eating, and they seemed fascinated with each other then. Audrey reached out for Patrick's face, and Patrick didn't even flinch. Patrick never took his eyes off the pretty girl.
Shannon and Audrey

We took the kids outside for a quick photo shoot on the grass outside before we left. Don't they look adorable together?
And this was my favorite moment. Patrick kept putting his hand on Audrey's back. It was such a sweet gesture, even if he was just curious about how it felt. I think he was just showing he liked her. It was completely worth the long drive across town to see Shannon and Audrey. I'm afraid it will be another long stretch before we get to see them again, but maybe now that I know the drive really isn't that bad, I'll be willing to head that way again the next time we visit my parents.

Labels: , , , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

I bet it was a good feeling to be able to be a little more independant and do something for yourself, your strong and today you proved it...you miss your husband but know that your ok when he is gone..good for you..

Those two little ones are adorable...its only just beginning ....lol

Blogger Emmakirst said...

Those pictures are adorable. :)
Hope the time goes quick till hubby is home.

Blogger Karen said...

Those are the cutest pictures! I hate when my hubby is out of town, too. It hasn't happened since we've had Jenna, but it will very soon and I'm NOT looking forward to it! I'll remember your bright side.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter