Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Thursday, August 03, 2006
August Isn't a Dirty Word...
...not anymore. For only the second time in all the years I can remember, a single utterance of that detestable word doesn't send chills down my spine or make my stomach churn. I can finally hear the word and feel a complete sense of calm, even a bit of pride that I am not one of the many affected by the start of schools again. I don't cringe at the thought of the inevitable Wal-Mart trip for school supplies or dread tax-free weekend. None of these things concern me in the least. It's a great feeling.

I went straight from high school to college to teaching, never taking even a semester off. I grew so used to August meaning the end of my free time, my lazy sleep schedule, and reading for fun. It still feels eerie to face the month with such calm. I suspect my attitude may shift even further in this direction in a few years, when it is beyond apathy, but joy as well. After having Patrick at home with me for a long summer, I may be relieved for August to arrive and school to start again. I'm just not looking forward to that first year, that August that signals my little boy is taking one huge step away from me and starting kindergarten.

To get awful thoughts like that out of my head, I have to tell you about his new trick that he was so eager to show off for me this morning. He would look up at me, as if to say, "Watch this, Mommy," then reach down and grab one of the velcro tabs on his diaper. In one swift, practiced move, he would rip the tab off and hold it out to the side. Then he'd look up at me again: "It's already half off. Look how easy this changing a diaper thing is!" The best part is the look he'd get on his face. It was a charming combination of pride and guilt. I tried to chastise him for trying to take off his diaper, but I don't think the lecture worked, what with barely being able to get a word out around my laughter.
Yesterday I got some video of Patrick playing in his ExerSaucer. He was a lot more cooperative for the camera then. Sometimes when he starts to get bored playing but I don't want to move him to something else yet, I'll pull out some of the toys from their spots on the tray and let him play with them separately. That can keep him entertained for another fifteen minutes easily. One of the newest things he'll do with them is chunk them over the side as hard as possible. He's got quite an arm on him! Unfortunately I didn't catch that on video. Instead, he proves that he is definitely a boy and insists on playing like one.



I think maybe we'll have to dress him up like BamBam for Halloween. What do you think?

Labels: , , ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

Too cute that he is still taking his diaper off, or tying. I am glad you are enjoying August this year. I would be if the heat would just subside a little bit :) Patrick looks super cute in his bouncer! I can't watch the videos since I have a snail paced computer but I wish I could :(

Blogger Emmakirst said...

He's too cute in his exersaucer!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that he can purposely pull off his diaper! I would expect an occasional accidental opening, but apparently our little genius has figured out velcro!! :)

I love the video. Maybe his grandpa or papa need to get him a drum set for Christmas!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of a drum set Sue, maybe we should go in together and get him a good one that will last!!:) He is so talented and smart taking off his diaper what will he think of next?

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter