Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Saturday, August 26, 2006
Critters in the Attic
I suppose it's better than snakes on a plane, but I'm not too excited about the critters in our attic. Matt and I had started hearing scratching noises in our walls and ceiling months ago. Of course we immediately worried about some sort of critter living with us. Then Matt remembered that our new house should settle some, and it was entirely possible the settling could sound like scratching sometimes. I was willing to believe him because I'd much rather blame the sound on an expected occurence than an uninvited animal living in our attic.

The day before we left for Dallas last time, I heard it again, louder than ever. Matt set up an appointment for our exterminator to take a look, but he couldn't come until after we got back from Dallas. By then I'd all but convinced myself I was just hearing things and that it certainly couldn't be an animal in our attic. The exterminator agreed; he said no critters would want to take up residence in a sweltering attic in a Houston summer. To pacify us, he just set out a few glue traps. Matt and I forgot all about them being there.

Well, until yesterday morning. Matt woke me up early, before he even left for work, because he heard an insistent scratching in a new part of the house. Together we investigated our attic with only a rake, but didn't find anything. The one glue trap we found was untouched. Still, we were both absolutely positive we were sharing our house with some sort of living creature. When Matt went to spread rat poison later in the day, he finally saw at least one of our guests: a tiny field mouse. From the amount and volume of the scratching, we were both wondering how big that squirrel was. Instead, it seems as though we simply have a family of mice who spend the morning in our attic. We're pretty sure they leave out the back of our house for the heat of the day because we only hear the scratching in the mornings. Matt also found where the gaps are where they might find a way in, all along the overhang at the back of our house, behind our bedroom. Now I'm kind of creeped out thinking of the many days of the many months that I've had critters scurrying right behind my head and across the ceiling over the bed every morning while I've slept.

Although normally an animal lover, I don't think I'll mind knowing the rat poison is doing its job.

Labels:



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOH!!!There nothing I can't stand to see in my house (or attic) is mice, (except of course snakes) that goes without saying. I hope Matt fixed the places in the house so they find a new "home"

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter