Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Sunday, July 23, 2006
Ummmmm....
I don't know what to blog about today. I guess the day was bound to come when this happened, but usually Patrick does something cute last minute or something annoys me just before I blog so that I have actual content to write about. But since yesterday, very little has happened. Patrick slept and ate and spit up a few times, but that's about it. There has been nothing monumental or even remotely interesting to talk about.

I guess you might care to know that the spitting up is still doing better, even though more and more I'm going back to the "old" way of feeding him, with a greater priority on nursing. The milk seems to bother him some still, but it bothered him the other way too. It's purely a question of when he spits up--before or after eating solid food. The solid food doesn't do anything to help keep the food down; it just gets caught up in the milk spit-up after a while. I think my way makes more sense. This way he only spits up milk. It's a little less gross this way at the very least.

The extra nursing yesterday also helped the lump in my breast work its way out before ever turning into an infection. I'm relieved about that. I'm sure if I'd continued doing things the doctor's way yesterday, the lump would have still been there this morning and I probably would have woken up feverish too. I'm glad I was spared the worst with this infection.

Oh, and several recent comments have led me to believe I need to explain the worrying I've done about Patrick's spitting up. As bad as I thought it was at first, when we first brought him home, I've since realized that our situation could be much worse. He has a severe case of reflux, but he doesn't spit up nearly as much as several other babies I've heard of--even myself as a baby, I've been told. I stopped worrying about Patrick's spit-up long ago because apparently it's not really that awful. I started worrying again a couple of weeks ago when how much he was spitting up was starting to change. He was spitting up more than he ever had before. It worried me that it was worse, not that it was lots of spit-up. It was unusual for Patrick to spit up that much, which made me worry he was sick. The doctor had already said several times too that it should be getting better by now, which it most certainly was not. The worry went away briefly when at the doctor's appointment, he was certain Patrick wasn't sick. I started worrying again, though, when he made it clear that it was concerning him that the reflux wasn't getting better yet and was instead getting worse. Now that we've found ways to control it a little better, I'm less worried again. And every time I get soaked in another round of spit-up, I try to remind myself of how much worse things could be.

Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Kathy I can relate to the worry of the spitting up. Randie projectile vomited for what seems like forever.. finally we found out about the bowel obstruction and had it taken care of but now everytime she vomits I think it is the bowel again. I think being a mother is just a never-ending worry! At least that is what it feels like most of the time..

Glad to hear Patricks spit up is a bit better. I sure hope the reflux goes away soon or at least gets a ton better so you have to worry less :)

Blogger Emmakirst said...

I'm glad that his spitting up is getting better though, it must be a big relief for you. At least you can see the positive side as to how it could be worse. It's just far too easy to worry about things with children, I swear there isn't a day that goes by that I don't worry about something with one of my children.

I hope it continues to get better, and glad that everything worked out with the lump and you didn't get the major ouch!

Blogger Becci said...

I hope his spitting up keeps getting better.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter