Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Monday, July 17, 2006
Growing Sense of Independence
The biggest news around here is how well Patrick is progressing with his finger foods. It's still hit or miss whether each piece makes it into his mouth, but he sure loves trying. Last night's dinner was getting frustrating because he was working too hard on picking up the few Cheerios I had out that he wouldn't let me feed him the rest of his dinner. I had to confiscate his finger food until he'd eaten his other food. Amazingly once he saw his Cheerios out of reach, he gave up and let me feed him, but he was all too eager to go after those Cheerios again when I moved them back. His arms are still too short too reach very far into the tray, even though he's reaching a little farther every day, so I've been putting the Cheerios right at the front. They're right behind a little lip, so he can't see them very well and will grope blindly behind that lip if he thinks I might have left even one piece of food there. A lot of times if there is a piece there, his little fingers only push it farther away. As a result, I've been handing him most of the Cheerios, one at a time. It makes for a very slow process, especially when only about half the Cheerios even make it to his mouth. The good news is that he is slowly but surely getting better at it and growing more insistent on feeding himself. Last night he actually picked up one piece off his tray himself and moved it into his mouth, getting it in the first try. I was so proud of him!

Yes, I'm sure you noticed in yesterday's pictures that Patrick's hair was not exactly cooperating. While he may have inherited the texture and color of my hair, he appears to have inherited the behavior (or lack thereof) of Matt's. I couldn't find anything yesterday to help keep that hair from flapping up. I decided it probably wasn't a good idea to stoop to gel or hair spray--not yet anyway. It may be time for a haircut, as much as I hate to admit it. You don't realize just how long it really is until it's standing straight up.

Patrick's been frustrating this morning. He's still spitting up like a fountain, and I think it's starting to hurt his belly too. He hasn't been as eager to eat, and he's been fussier than he has in a long time. I'm pretty sure no new teeth are coming in yet, so I doubt that could be the problem. He cried through lunch, closing his mouth to even macaroni and cheese, one of his favorites. (He was still eager to play with the Cheerios, though.) The only time he quieted down and was perfectly well-behaved was when I was talking with Matt on the phone for a few minutes. I think he misses his daddy.

Labels: , , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I've been behind on blogs! I can imagine how frustrating the spit-up thing is. I can deal with it now, but after a year, it would get real old. Especially with all the colored foods in there! Glad you got some good pics...you're dealing with the teething monster, but all in all he sounds like a happy kid.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like Patrick is enjoying learning "to do it myself!" That can be both happy and not. :)

Blogger Tonya said...

He is a real learner.. so smart :) They will continue to surprise you all the time :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to, but try parting on the other side of his head and see if his hair lays down better that way. Sometimes it works.

Blogger Emmakirst said...

His pictures are as cute as can be.

Too cute about eating the cheerios, I remember when my little ones started picking up finger foods. It's just too cute.

I hope his spitting up has decreased. Poor little guy. :(

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter