Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Saturday, July 15, 2006
He Reached for Me!
The other day after finishing our photo shoot, I reached down to pick up Patrick out of the orange chair, and he reached his hands up to be picked up! That's the first time he has reached clearly for me. He's been reaching for toys and Mommy's and Daddy's drinks for months, and sometimes he'll lean towards one of us when he's being held by the other. But that was the first time he showed how much he wanted me. I was so excited. Not only is that quite a milestone, but it makes me feel so good too, just knowing that he uses the same gesture to show he wants me that he uses for drinks or toys.

I also spent some time in the last few days going through all my folders of pictures of him. The goal was to weed out most of the pictures that I thought I'd never use. Typically when I take pictures of Patrick, I snap way more than I think I'll ever need, with the theory that if I take enough, some of them are bound to turn out well. The problem is that I haven't been very good about going back and cleaning out the junk pictures. I've gotten better about it recently, but most of the folders from January and February had lots of really bad pictures.

It was really weird looking at every picture I've ever taken of him. I can remember almost every photo shoot. As I would look at one folder of pictures, I would remember what problems I had taking pictures that day or how excited I was at how the pictures turned out because he wasn't blinking at the flash as much that day or he was looking at the camera more or smiling more. I was able to watch backwards as my photography skills got worse, before I learned how badly Patrick reacted to the camera's flash (most of those show him grimacing with barely open eyes, trying to block out the light of the flash). I also watched backwards as he grew back down to a baby. I noticed things about how grown up Patrick is now that I hadn't realized before. He has so much more hair now than he did even two or three months ago. I guess a part of me thought he'd always had this much hair, but he could barely escape the label of bald back in January and February. There were also many almost imperceptible changes in his face, like how well he would focus on the camera or what was going on around him, and the chubby baby face compared to the mostly leaner and more mature face of a pre-toddler. I'm so glad I have all those pictures to document his growth. I'm glad I always have those reminders of Patrick as a baby, and how far he's come already.

Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you managed to inspire Papa to go back to the archives and do a little reading. But moreso to look at the pictures of my favorite grandson growing up. When you do it that way it's amazing, the amount of change that has taken place, that I really had not seen before. I read the blog daily, but this look into the past makes me miss him even more. Time for a road trip.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm back and just got caught up on all the blogs! I'm noticing how well Patrick is sitting up now. What a big difference in a short time! I love how he is growing his personality now, too. You must be having so much fun!! :)

Blogger Lauren said...

I know what you mean about looking back. I did a little of that myself last night while updating Will's baby book and "de-junking" computer files. It's amazing how when you see them each day and you barely notice the differences; thinking "he's always looked like this." But when you go back to when they were teeny, you can really see how much they have changed. Glad you had fun reminiscing (sp?). I know I did :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter