Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Saturday, July 15, 2006
Spit-Up Woes
I just don't know how much longer I can take it. The spit-up should be getting better now that he's approaching a year old, but each day lately it has only seemed to be getting worse.

I dressed Patrick in a cute outfit today that I hadn't photographed him in yet. Each time he wears it, he drowns it in spit-up before I get a chance to take any pictures. Again today, he drenched it right away. Stubborn as I am, I decided to wait until the spit-up dried and take pictures anyway. It would be gross, but if it dried right, only Patrick and I would ever know. Unfortunately, it didn't dry completely until time for the next meal. That prompted a new round of spit-up. I couldn't even get one spit-up dried before he was launching another. It was all over me, all over his clothes, all over his high chair, and all over the floor. This time, it was solid food spit-up too, which means it won't dry clear like the milk spit-up that I used to loathe until I realized its relative harmlessness.

I am so tired of the spit-up and the reflux. I'm tired of having to remember to medicate Patrick twice a day; I'm tired of worrying if I'm even a few minutes late that it will only make him suffer more. I'm tired of changing both my clothes and Patrick's several times a day. I'm tired of Patrick smelling like sour milk even within minutes after finishing a bath. I'm tired of having random green and orange spots on our carpets from pea or carrot spit-ups that we didn't catch in time. I'm tired of explaining to anyone who wants to hold him that they really might not want to if they value their clothes. I'm tired of Patrick suffering through tummy time because it hurts his belly, and I'm tired of hating his tummy time just as much because I have to listen to him scream in pain and I'll have to clean up numerous spit-ups that result from the tummy time. Most of all, I'm tired of Patrick feeling bad that often.

I may want Patrick to remain a baby in so many ways, but I couldn't be more eager for him to grow up enough to outgrow this reflux. I firmly believe the reflux was a major contributor in Patrick's lack of interest in sitting up--he still spits up repeatedly every time he sits for longer than a couple of seconds--and I'm afraid it is also hindering him from other activities that he needs to be on his belly to accomplish, like crawling. When will it be over? The doctor has given me so many different answers that I no longer know what to believe. I know he probably won't be spitting up by the time he starts school (how many kindergarteners still carry burp rags around because they expect to spit up after every meal?), but I don't know when between now and then I can expect it to start to subside. And kindergarten seems like such a faraway goal right now...

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Oh Kathy.. I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. I can so relate to how you feel. We had to change Randie about 6 times a day..sometimes more.. But we found out why this was happening and since her surgery she still vomits but not nearly as much.. its more of a regular baby vomit now. With Patrick and the reflux I wish I had some answers for you.. I sure hope it starts to improve soon!! And that is so awesome that he reached for you in the previous post :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter