Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Invisible Lasts
Patrick has two teeth! He woke up yesterday morning with his first tooth, and then he woke up from his afternoon nap with his second tooth. I'd heard the first two often come in close together, but I didn't realize it was within a few hours of each other. When Matt came home for lunch yesterday, I proudly announced Patrick's first tooth. When he came home for the evening, I announced the second. We joked about how long that pattern could continue. Patrick does seem to have stopped with the two teeth for the moment. Now he wants to chew on anything and everything even more than before. And it hurts when he gnaws on my fingers now.

This whole teething thing has made me realize something, though. Sunday was the last day I got to enjoy my toothless baby, and I spent the day anxious for those teeth to come in. I wonder how many other "lasts" have sped by unnoticed because I was too concerned with the future. On October 6, I spent my last day pregnant with him, never knowing it was the last. Would I have stopped to treasure the silence and solitude of that last middle-of-the-night feeding if I'd known it was going to be the last one? I wonder how I might have treated each last differently if I'd known it was a last. Would I have cherished each one more? By the time each thing becomes a last, it's happened so many times that I take it for granted. I was anxious for that stage to end and the next to begin. Now I wish I had taken the time to celebrate the lasts as much as I do the firsts. While it is always fun looking to the future and each new stage of development Patrick will enter, there's something even more special about loving the present and whatever Patrick does right now. I'll get my opportunity to enjoy all those future stages when he gets there, so why start now and ignore the present?
This is Matt and Patrick just before leaving for our walk yesterday. It was sunny and hot, so we took some extra sun precautions. My guys were too cute; I couldn't resist snapping a picture (or eight). By the way, can you figure out where Patrick gets his smile?

Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how could he have gotten my smile... I thought I still had it.

Blogger Tonya said...

Oh he does have his daddys smile :) He looks adorable.. Oh and YAY!! on the new toofers..lol Look out mommy all those other ones will be in before you know it!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the adorable picture of daddy and baby. They make quite a pair!

Enjoy every day with your family. The time will definitely fly by. Thanks for reminding us how quickly some of those special moments go past. Fortunately, there is usually something great to look forward to as well.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter