Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Sunday, June 04, 2006
The Most Beautiful Baby in the World
Thank you to everyone who commented on yesterday's blog, especially those of you who confirmed my suspicions that Patrick's constant flow of spit-up is related to his incoming teeth. It's great having a group of other moms out there to run this stuff by, particularly when I can't get in touch with the doctor easily.

I just want to take a minute today to make sure everyone knows that Patrick is without a doubt the cutest, most adorable, and most beautiful baby in the world. There's nothing in particular that he's done to make me say this; all I have to do is look at him and I am reminded of that every day. I think it's funny that I say that, though, because while I believe it wholeheartedly, I know it's just me looking through my mommy rose-colored glasses (they must issue them within seconds of giving birth). In reality, every parent believes the same thing about his or her children. I hear parents say the very same thing about their kids all the time. At first it actually kind of offended me. How can they call their kids the cutest or most beautiful? They haven't seen Patrick, or if they have, they're just blind to not realize that he is the cutest.

Then I had a reality check and realized that we are all going to be biased toward our own children. Those other parents truly believe their kids are the cutest. Even parents of children that do not have traditional good looks (yes, there are some less than attractive babies out there, and we all know it) won't hesitate to call their babies the cutest. To them, that baby is the cutest, no matter how he or she looks to others.

So I have to wonder: will we always see our children through these rose-colored glasses? Or will we someday be able to take them off long enough to see our kids through the eyes of someone less involved in their lives? Will we even want to?

Labels:



4 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Too True! No we will never take off our glasses and our children will always be the most beautiful in the world.. thats just life as a mommy I guess!! lol

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What glasses??? My 4 children (plus 4) are the cutest, smartest, most creative, most productive people ever! And the grandson is absolutely the cutest thing! Glasses??? I don't need no stinkin' glasses! : )

Blogger Becci said...

I can't wait to know that feeling! And just gotta say those pics from yesterday are darling!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NaNa I feel the same way, I too have the cutest, smartest, most productive wonderful children and the absolute cutest most wonderful grandchild!! I am sure all who see these wonderful children and grand child will agree without any glasses!! I'm sitting here right this moment without any glasses on at all!:)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter