Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Saturday, May 27, 2006
Couch Potato
I'm afraid I'm turning into a couch potato, but I've always sworn I wouldn't let my son become one. Then today, I'm suddenly not so sure. At dinner at Joe's Crab Shack with the whole family, Patrick started getting fussy after he finished his food. We passed him around the table until he ended up in Nana's lap where he intently watched each bite she took. He would grab her hand and try to bring her food to his mouth. Finally Matt and I decided that was enough interest shown in "real food" to let him try his first real solid. So Nana fed him a French fry. He mostly sucked on it but did get some small bits of it in his mouth. He wasn't sure what to do with it then, so most of it ended up in the napkin. Still, he seemed to enjoy it. I'm a little disappointed that his first finger food turned out to be junk food, but it made sense at the time. I guess from here on out, we need to encourage more healthy finger food choices and save the fries for special occasions.

Then when we got home, he was super upset. I tried putting him to bed, but we all couldn't stand the screaming that long. Uncle Dave and Aunt Jen got him out of his crib and tried comforting him. After about ten minutes, I thought maybe he wanted to eat again to relax enough to sleep, so I went to rescue his aunt and uncle. As they got up to hand him off, he turned toward the tv. Immediately he was captivated. The screaming stopped suddenly and he stared at that tv, perfectly content. Eventually I did feed him and he went to bed peacefully, but it still stuns me just how much the tv calmed him. He must be a real couch potato when he loves tv that much and craves fries.

On another note, I had a fun late-night feeding with him last night. Just as I was about to turn off my light and go to sleep, much later than I was hoping, Patrick woke up crying. It had been a long time since he'd eaten, and I sort of expected him to want to eat one more time before crashing for the night. When he didn't eat before midnight, I thought I would be in the clear until morning. At least he decided to eat before I went to bed. When he finished eating, he was in a great mood, almost giddy even. I put him back in his bed, expecting him to go back to sleep easily. Instead, he wanted to socialize. As I went through the typical good-night routine, he laughed. "I love you Patrick." Belly laugh. "Sleep well." Another belly laugh. I kissed him good night. Yet another belly laugh. It was hilarious, so I dragged it out as long as possible. It was such a loud laugh that I was somewhat concerned he would wake everyone in the house. I didn't think anybody would mind being awakened by that. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I was the only one who heard it. It was a fun and special moment with him. It's so much easier to put him to bed when he's in a good mood, even if it's difficult to leave him. I just want to savor those happy, giggly moments that don't seem to happen frequently enough or last long enough, no matter how often they happen or how long they last.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Ohhh Randie really likes the tv too.. we put it on kids shows on CBeebies and she watches it quite alot but she prefers to be outside.. it she can get out and walk she is happiest. I'm sure patrick will enjoy more healthier snacks than frenchfries but hey im sure he would like a frenchfry now and then...lol I would loved to hear the giggling :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter