Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Another Getaway
Today we woke up early to get to my mom's school for their clean-up day so she could show off Patrick to all her friends. Many of them follow the blog or at least see the new pictures when my mom sends them out, so they were interested to meet the famed Patrick in person. He was charming around all those women, especially elementary school teachers who have a soft spot for kids.

This afternoon, Matt and I took off for another night away. It's only fair that if Papa and Gigi got a chance to watch Patrick overnight that Nana should too. Matt and I didn't exactly hesitate when she offered. (My dad would help baby-sit, but he's on a business trip until tomorrow and this was our best chance to get away.) We are staying at the Wildwood Inn, a bed and breakfast in Denton, TX. It is the same place where we spent our short honeymoon last year. We'd been planning to do this for quite some time but hadn't gotten around to reserving a room until yesterday afternoon. We got quite lucky that they weren't booked. We couldn't get the same room as last year but found a nice substitute instead. We're very happy with it.

For dinner we ate at the same restaurant as our first meal as a married couple: Applebee's. It doesn't sound particularly special, but we hadn't considered the the local college (University of North Texas) had had graduation the same day and the town would be swamped with parents wanting to take their graduates out to dinner. Applebee's was the only place we'd be able to get food without a ridiculously long wait. Matt and I are pretty sure that we even had the same waitress tonight as last year. It brought back so many happy memories.

After dinner, we headed to the local theater to watch The DaVinci Code.
***Major Spoilers Ahead!***
I read the book a few weeks ago and found it interesting, even though I didn't exactly buy into the whole conspiracy theory idea. The movie followed the book fairly well until the end. It bugs me to the point of distraction when movies stray too far from the books, so I was glad I could focus as well as I did on the end of the movie. There was one difference that I appreciated: Tom Hanks's character tells Sophie, the "last descendant of Christ," that Christ could be divine and still start a family. It was also up to Sophie to decide whether she should reveal her lineage and that she should consider what would encourage the faith of Christians. I know the whole idea is controversial and I don't buy it at all, but I still wonder what exactly about it enrages so many Christians.

A major focal point of the movie is that in order to prove Sophie is a descendant of Christ is to have DNA evidence from Mary Magdalene, Christ's supposed wife, to compare to the descendants. Matt pointed out the hugest flaw in that logic. If they compare that DNA, they will only have proved that Sophie is related to Mary Magdalene, not Christ. They'd need his DNA for that proof, and we all know that's impossible. According to tradition, Mary Magdalene had quite a history, and she could have produced many offspring that were not conceived by Christ. So we either have to take on faith that Christ was married to Mary Magdalene and DNA evidence proving she has descendants also proves He does, or we have to believe tradition that she slept around and proof of her descendants proves nothing, or we can believe the Bible's version of the story, which doesn't verify either of the other two theories. I think I know which one I'm going to believe; even if the Bible wasn't sent from heaven by facsimile (stated in the movie), it's somewhat less fallible than a conspiracy theory set forth in a modern novel.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Sounds like you had a great time :) Glad you got to get away, just the two of you!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know -- Nana and Patrick have had a wonderful time together, too! I'm just waiting for my playmate to wake up again. What a doll! I'm glad you had a good time away. Every couple needs that time.

Blogger Becci said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter