Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Monday, May 15, 2006
Balance
It's all about balance. Patrick had overall a really good day yesterday, so he had to balance it with a frustrating one today. I guess it's good that he will balance the bad days with good ones, but it's disappointing to have such a great day yesterday and follow it up with one like this.

Patrick adapted to the change quite well yesterday. He didn't seem bothered by the change in routine as we had a flurry of activity trying to get packed and ready to go. He was napping in his room as we kept having to sneak in to grab a few more things. He would hear us, wake up and watch, and then go right back to sleep without making any noises at all.

On the road he started getting whiny after a few hours, and Matt and I suspected he was just getting sleepy again and couldn't get comfortable enough to doze off in his new car seat. We turned on some classical music for him, and he listened intently from the first note. It kept him from whining and eventually calmed him enough to put him to sleep.

After checking into the hotel, we had to go get food and run some errands. For one of the first times, Patrick had to get his solid food somewhere other than his high chair. Fortunately his new stroller works really well for feeding too--something I hadn't thought about until necessity forced us to get creative last night. Although before last night, Patrick didn't seem to like his stroller, crying most of the time he was in it, he had no problems last night. The change in feeding location and routine didn't bother him in the least. He was happy and charming throughout our errands after dinner. Not once the rest of the day did he act like we had changed his routine at all.

This morning started out fine too. He woke me up by talking at about 9:45, much later than I expected--not that I minded sleeping in later. He was calm as I got him ready to eat and while he was eating. We played for a little while after, and then he started getting fussy and whiny. It very much resembled his "I want to go back to bed" whine, so that's what I did. But he continued to whine and cry on and off for 15-20 minutes. Finally he was quiet enough that I felt safe risking a fast shower.

By the time I was out of the shower, the crying had started again. It continued the whole time I got myself ready for the day and while I got his bath ready. He loved his bath, fortunately. That was the one bright spot of the morning. He even cooed and talked to me while I got him dressed, the part he usually cries through. Then I had to let him lie in his bed for a few minutes while I got everything ready for us to leave for lunch. Those five minutes were non-stop crying of the blood-curdling type. If anybody was in the hallway or a room near us, they probably wondering what on earth I was doing to that poor child. Finally we were ready to go. As long as he was in the stroller and the stroller was moving, he was relatively content. But he whined through lunch at Burger King. Most of my time was spent keeping food going to his mouth because he can't whine nearly as loudly when he has a mouth full of food. I barely had time to inhale my Whopper between his bites.

When he finished eating, he was ready to go, right then. He did not want to wait for me to pop a few fries in my mouth or refill my root beer; he had had enough. Then when we got back to the hotel, the maid was finishing up cleaning our room. That meant Patrick and I had to wander and kill some time until we could get back into the room. Again, as long as the stroller kept moving, he was ok. Let's just say I know the hotel way too well now.

He cried even louder when we got back in our room. I got him out of the stroller, thinking that would help. Nope. Maybe if I walk him around, he'll stop crying. Nope. Does he want to stand? Nope. Play? Nope. Finally, completely out of ideas, I put him in his crib. Naturally he screamed even louder, this time at that pitch that grates on my nerves and gives me an instant headache and often makes me nauseous too. Out of spite, I suppose, I left him there anyway, seething in the other room. It was about time for him to want a nap, so I prayed he would fall asleep. Finally, just a few minutes ago, the screaming stopped. I can only hope he will stay asleep all afternoon until Matt gets back from his training. Why is it Patrick is usually only this annoying when I'm the only parent around? Of course when Matt's back tonight, Patrick will probably play the charming angel again. "Who? Me? Do you really think someone with a face this sweet would cause trouble for Mommy?"

If he stays true to his theory of balance, however, tomorrow should be a better day. Maybe he'll save his next cry day for when Matt offers to take him off my hands for a while. That would only be fair, wouldn't it?

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Sorry it was not a great day Kathy.. hopefully the theory is right and tomorrow will be better. It figures that it only happens when you are the only one there.. I have had that happen as well!! I know what you mean about as long as the stroller is moving its fine but as soon as it stops all hell breaks loose..lol

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope he has a good day with GiGi and PaPa when we see him. I haven't had to entertain a crying baby in quite awhile. I usually give them to their mom at work.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter