Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Friday, May 12, 2006
My Sensitive Boy
I already knew Patrick was special, but I didn't understand just how special. He's starting to show more and more than he's more than your typical baby. He is developing a real sensitive side. Most babies are innately selfish, making sure their own needs are met first and foremost. They may react some to their parents' emotions, crying when the parents are upset or laughing when the parents laugh, but Patrick takes it further than that.

The other night I was feeling under the weather, and as usually happens when I'm truly feeling bad, I started crying. Patrick was sitting in his chair right next to mine when I broke down. He had been whining, wanting attention and probably food. After I'd been crying for a minute, though, I realized I didn't hear the whining anymore. I peeked at him, only to see him watching me intently. The look on his face was a combination of curiosity and concern. That pulled me out of my funk quickly, realizing that my baby was worried about me. Isn't that supposed to happen the other way around? He didn't cry because I was upset; in fact, he stopped crying when he realized something was wrong. I must have a very intuitive, very sensitive baby to recognize Mommy's upset and to be worried about me, not his own discomfort.

Patrick has also started asking for my attention in different ways. Sometimes he will still cry or whine if he wants my attention, but if I'm right there with him doing something other than playing with him, he will make a cooing noise and reach out his arm towards me. I think he's starting to understand that the crying and whining only irritate me, even if they do get my attention, and unless it's serious, I'm more likely to pay attention to him if he's acting cute. It certainly works; how can I ignore him when he's reaching out for me and smiling?

Unfortunately, whatever I had the other night may have gotten passed on to him. We have his first non-check-up doctor's appointment this afternoon. I don't think his illness is too serious, but we thought it was best to have it checked out before leaving town for several weeks. I wasn't so sure he needed the appointment when I made it yesterday afternoon, but when he was still awake and crying at two this morning, I started to be relieved he had an appointment today. It must be worse than I thought if it kept him awake that long. He is a boy who loves his sleep, so that's a good indicator that something isn't right when he can't fall asleep. Hopefully we'll get good news from the doctor and we can clear up this problem easily and quickly.

Update: I think that $20 co-pay went to my peace of mind because it certainly didn't go to healing Patrick. Everything the doctor said confirmed what I'd already suspected; I heard nothing new. He is spitting up more because of his acid reflux. As he gets bigger and weighs more, the medicine does less to control it. We can start giving him a little more medicine until it starts controlling the reflux again. I'd even predicted the exact maximum amount we can give him. He's also had a slight rash on his back, especially after his afternoon nap when he sleeps on his back. I wasn't too worried about the rash but thought I'd better call the doctor as a precaution. After the doctor saw the rash on his back, he confirmed it was most likely heat rash as I'd suspected. That means I came home from the doctor feeling proud of myself and my diagnostic skills, but frustrated because we wasted that money. At least we know now that he is cleared for vacation. Oh, yeah, and he got weighed (in his clothes, which is different from normal; this weight is therefore a little high). He is currently 13 lbs and 9 oz. He's not gaining as quickly as I'd like, but apparently it's reasonable and consistent. So there's nothing to worry about.

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Patrick is a clever little guy!! Randie has done the same thing to me as well when I have been upset etc.. its like they are wondering "What is wrong with you?" lol.. it is too cute :) Glad the appointment went well and everything is cleared for your vacation but bummer about wasting the money.. better to be safe than sorry though :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter