Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Friday, February 17, 2006
My Poor Baby
Apparently I spoke too soon yesterday when I said Patrick responds well to immunizations. He didn't seem too upset by them yesterday, mostly just sleepy. That's what happened last time; he slept for a few hours and was fine after a good nap. Last night, the sleepiness didn't go away so easily. Part of it was probably in response to the Tylenol--he always gets a little drowsy after taking Tylenol--but it was still worse than normal.

Then he started to wake up about the time I expected him to want to eat for his last feeding of the evening. He wasn't screaming, so we had a nice, pleasant diaper change. As soon as he saw me preparing his bottle (he has to have one bottle with vitamins each day), he started screaming at the top of his lungs. He wasn't hungry until he saw the food. But then he wouldn't eat. We tried every trick in the book for nearly an hour and managed to force no more than about half an ounce down him. He can typically eat four ounces on average from his nightly bottle. It was definitely frustrating and a little scary. He hadn't been eating terribly well for the two feedings before. He would sort of suck while he was mostly asleep for the majority of the feedings. And he would "eat" for anywhere from forty-five minutes to an hour and a half, much longer than normal.

I called the doctor this morning when I found a mosquito-bite-looking spot on his leg where he got one of the shots yesterday. I always debate calling the doctor any time I worry about him because I don't want to be an annoying, super-worried, first-time mother. I finally decided the red spot on his leg combined with his fussiness, sleepiness, and lack of appetite were enough to call. Fortunately, all are pretty typical responses to the shots, and I just need to keep an eye on them to make sure they start getting better soon. The nurse also seemed just concerned enough that I was glad I had called and that it wasn't paranoia.

Now Patrick is screaming again. We're in that black hole of pain between the time the last dose of Tylenol wore off and the next dose starts working. What's funny is that never happens when Matt is around. Patrick was perfectly content the whole time Matt was home for lunch, and just minutes after he left, Patrick started screaming and hasn't stopped since. That happens most afternoons. It makes me feel bad sometimes the way Patrick seems to idolize his daddy and then just screams around me. I know it's just a coincidence, but it's hard to see it that way when he looks me right in the face and cries until he turns purple. Nothing I do helps; it just seems to make him madder that I'm interfering. Sorry for the depressing end of this post. I just really can't get positive when I can't comfort my own baby.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter