Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Thursday, May 03, 2007
My Favorite Age Yet
I say this about so many of the new stages Patrick hits, but I think this new one really will turn out to be my favorite. He is perfectly happy playing on his own for a little while, but the second he starts to feel lonely, he turns into a cuddle bug. He will toddle over to wherever I am at the moment and lay his head against me or crawl into my lap for a quick hug before going back to playing.

Patrick really wants me to comfort him every time he gets even the least bit hurt, too. A tiny bump on the head is enough to prompt him to start crying and gesture for me to pick him up. I already know that he isn't hurt badly, but I love those moments when I get to hold him and feel more like a mommy than ever. Yesterday during one of those times he needed comforting, he relaxed totally into me, laying his cheek against mine and becoming a dead weight in my arms. I think he might just have fallen asleep if I'd held him much longer. It has been so long since he's voluntarily settled into my arms like that; I cherish those moments with him the same way I did the first few times I got to hold him in the NICU. There's nothing sweeter than knowing he voluntarily wants to show me affection.

He is still just as affectionate to his daddy as ever as well. He squeals and runs to the door when he hears Daddy come home from work. I'm a great substitute for Daddy when he's at work, but I'm practically forgotten when he's home. I'm not the least bit jealous about it either. It makes me happy, even happier now that I have pregnancy hormones to help, to see that special Daddy-son bond growing. Today they even played catch together for the first time (pictures to come shortly). I nearly teared up as I saw the great pictures I got of the occasion.

Patrick definitely takes after Daddy in some interesting ways, too. He is totally in love with the vacuum. Shortly before bed, something unremarkable happened that put Patrick in need of comforting. We needed to vacuum up the animal cracker crumbs from earlier anyway, so Matt pulled out the vacuum. Patrick instantly squealed and got quiet, watching every move of the vacuum intently. As I stood back holding him where he could see but not touch, I suddenly felt something interesting. The baby was kicking me at the same time. He had woken up to the sound of the vacuum and apparently liked it as well. I think I've got another Daddy clone in here! The moment was particularly special because I felt like a mother of two for the first time; I was holding one child while the other one was begging for attention however he could. It was one of those unexpected, unplanned family moments that I'll always remember, as much for the simplicity of it as its sweetness.

Labels: , , ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Harmony said...

I had one of those moments last Sunday. Ryland was sitting close to me drawing during the sermon and Raylee was asleep on my lap (if you call it that with such a large belly right now). Anyway, the baby started kicking Raylee really hard. I wasn't sure if she was wanting some attention also or was already starting the sister fights I expect in the future. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so sweet imagining Patrick cuddling up to you. I'm glad you're getting to experience such a huggy boy.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are able to write all these wonderful stories to us that will also help you remember all the sweet times you have had with Patrick, I just hope that when little baby #2 gets here you will be able to write a little about the two of them. You are a talented lady, and we love your blog so much. Thank you so much for your sharing.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi could not have said it any better. I second what she said. Looking forward to the next blog. Love to all 4

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter