Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
The Spit Game
Breakfast this morning was tame in comparison to yesterday. While I was braced for the worst, I was determined to keep a good attitude and not to let my impatience force me into treating Patrick in a way I would regret later. As a result, we were both calmer. Patrick wasn't particularly thrilled about his cereal, but as long as I didn't push him to eat, he eventually opened his mouth and ate each bite. It also helped that I didn't prepare as much cereal as yesterday so that the torture wouldn't last as long, if indeed it ended up being torture. I felt much better when it came time to lift him out of his high chair, as it had been less traumatic than yesterday.

I wonder if part of his recent unpredictable attitudes over the last few days has to do with teething. It's been a long time since any teeth have broken through, and he's showing many of the classic signs of teething. He pulls on his ears from time to time, he's had a loose diaper or two, he chews on everything. I hope if it is teething that he gets the teeth soon. The poor guy is endurng his suffering well, but it's obvious from time to time that he doesn't feel great.

He doesn't mind that other common teething sign, though. The excessive drool is providing all sorts of fun for him. He's suddenly remembered Nana's spitting trick, and he does it all the time. I feel like I need a sneeze guard at mealtimes to protect against the regular spray of food. I love that it has encouraged him to make up a new game to play with Daddy. Daddy imitates his spitting thing, and then he imitates Daddy. They spit back and forth for a long time. That's lots of fun when I'm holding Patrick and caught between them. Last night he continued the imitation when Daddy suddenly switched from spitting to saying, "Dada." Several times Patrick repeated "Dada" right back to him. So cute!

I had my own moment with Patrick just a few minutes ago. He was ready for his afternoon nap quite early and was clinging to me. Since it was early, I was reluctant to put him back to bed yet. So I stood next to his crib and held him for a few extra minutes before putting him down. He snuggled up into my shoulder and let me sing lullabies to him. It was so sweet the way he got really still like he was listening and was comforted. He hasn't let me do that in many months. I hope these sweet moments don't dwindle as quickly as I'm afraid they will now that he's getting more mobile.

Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

aww that sounds like such a sweet moment :) If he is pulling at his ears do you think he could have an infection? Do you think maybe he just does not like the cereal very much? Do you think he is able to eat our cereals like wheatabix or anything like that kathy? If any of these questions have been discussed already I appologise.. I have been away in Canada too long and have not totally caught up on my reading :)

Blogger Kathy said...

Tonya,

I've considered the possibility of an ear infection, but he isn't showing any other symptoms of one. Besides, he's pulled at his ears every time he's teethed before.

I think you're right that he's starting to dislike the cereal some. I'm considering mixing some bananas or something in it to make it more appealing again. He won't eat enough big boy cereal (i.e. Cheerios) on his own, so I have to keep feeding him the rice cereal awhile longer.

And don't worry about asking so many questions. It's possible I hadn't thought about those ideas.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Patrick has had a sweet, cuddly day. What a precious moment.

I'm glad to hear that Matt is keeping my favorite game going! :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter