Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
One Hour
This morning started out much differently than usual. On most days, Matt wakes me up at 7:30-ish before he leaves for work to say good-bye. Then I fall back asleep until 8:00 when my alarm goes off to get up and get Patrick his medicine and breakfast.

Today Matt woke me up as usual, but the first words out of his mouth were, "Did you get Patrick his medicine earlier?"

I looked up at him, confused and drowsy. "What do you mean? What time is it?"

"It's almost 9:00."

That sure forced me out of bed quickly. I have no idea how I was an hour late for the morning and Matt was closer to two. He'd set two alarms last night on the suspicion that he might have trouble waking up this morning, despite going to bed a little early. My alarm was set too. From what we can tell, all three alarms went off on time, yet somehow together we didn't manage to hear even one. I guess we heard them enough in our sleep to turn them off, but they didn't wake us up.

That has never happened before! I hear Matt's alarm for sure every time; it's so loud and annoying. It's kind of unsettling to think if we can sleep through three loud alarms what else we might sleep through sometime. I'd rather blame it on an alarm gnome, whose evil mission is to turn off alarms in bedrooms secretly at night, making people everywhere late for work.

On the bright side, nobody at work even said anything to Matt this morning about his tardiness. He's usually there early anyway, so being an hour or so late on one day shouldn't be a big deal.

My tardiness has actually had more consequences this morning. Patrick has been spittier than usual because of getting his medicine so late. It's also thrown off the feeding schedule; getting breakfast later made him ready for lunch later.

He was getting up from his morning nap to eat lunch about the time Matt got home for lunch. Even though he couldn't possibly have heard Matt home yet, that was obviously on his mind from the start. He said, "Dada" clearly as I got him out of bed. Then during the diaper change, he repeated, "dada," followed closely by "abba" and then "pop." He was so excited to see his daddy was home after he got to the living room. He would have leaped from my arms into Daddy's if he could have figured out how.

Now he's sitting next to me playing, a full hour after Daddy left to go back to work, and he's muttering, "Dada...dadada" to himself. I think someone has a hero already (or a new favorite word)!

I have a weight update (inaccurate as it is on our scale): 17 pounds, as of right after dinner last night. That means he's gained a pound in a week. Crazy, huh?

Don't forget I'm still taking opinions and advice about the baby gate dilemma. Thanks to all who have already given their opinions. We'll probably buy the gate this weekend, so you have several days left. I'll make sure to let you know what we decide early next week, possibly with pictures of it/them installed.

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like maybe you needed some rest! It is really amazing what a difference an hour makes. :)

"Dada" must really love that the boy is giving him his own name instead of both of you being mama. It's so cute how excited he is when he sees his dad. Now he can verbalize that.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter