Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Friday, April 21, 2006
Mozart and Daddy
I discovered late last night that maybe the sweet potatoes didn't settle as well as I thought. Unlike the squash that didn't stay down very long, the sweet potatoes stayed in his belly. Actually, they took the fast course through his system, and I discovered them in a very disgusting diaper last night. It was a similar reaction as to the prunes, just a little less dramatic. Therefore, we will save the rest of the sweet potatoes for a time when he needs his system cleaned out. So far with two vegetables, we have two strikes. I know in a few weeks I should try them again as his system may be more able to tolerate them then, but in the meantime I'm going to find some different veggies that maybe he'll take to better. Any ideas?

Patrick's also turning into quite the music aficionado. When he was really little, we used to play him the soothing classical music that came with his playard, his first bed at home, while he was falling asleep. We never really thought much about that after we moved him to his crib, though. He typically fell asleep fine on his own...that is, until one night when the teething was overwhelming. He cried and cried, and in desperation I recalled an anecdote from my mother about how my older brother used to be calmed by classical music when he was a baby. I tried a CD my dad had given me years before of the Florida Suite (sorry I can't remember the composer), and Patrick fell right to sleep. Since then, it has become an almost nightly routine to play this CD for him as he falls asleep. I've even played it some when he's been fussy around naptime. He's come to understand that Florida Suite means sleeptime.

We've also tried music some when he's cried in the car on trips and we can't console him as easily. We will put on a CD of random famous classical pieces, turn up the volume a bit, and wait. Sure enough, it doesn't take him long to get distracted by the music.

It was something entirely different the other afternoon, though. Matt got home from work and took Patrick into the study with him while he played on the computer, and I headed to the other corner of the house for something. When I came back toward the front of the house, I heard a beautiful classical piece playing in the study. I peeked in on my boys to see Patrick sitting on his daddy's lap, enraptured by something on the computer screen. He was "watching" the music, really just bars that bounced up and down with each note, one of the program's visualizations of the music. It is similar in idea to the star on his gym that I mentioned yesterday, where different corners of the star light up along with the music. It was great seeing him that taken by music. By the way, it was the Children's March (again I don't know the composer) that Matt was playing for him--appropriate, I thought.

I love that this is one more thing Matt is sharing with Patrick. Music was always a big part of my life and my siblings', because it was important to my parents. Still, music is even more important to Matt; his life in high school and most of college revolved around playing trumpet in band. As much as I enjoy music, it means much more to Matt. I love watching him pass something so personal down to our son, raising him to have the same connection to music that he does. Some fathers share a love of fishing or sports, but for our family, that bonding develops over music.

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter