Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Like an Orange on a Toothpick
Matt and I have found ourselves with an interesting problem. I think I mentioned a week or so ago that Patrick just started wearing his 3-6 month clothes. Most of them still hang off his body, making his little arms and legs look scrawny. Some of the pants and shorts are still too big around the waist and fall right off. His weight only barely fits the specifications for this size. More of the clothes fit lengthwise, however. I'll hold up a pair of pants, like the pair he wore on Easter, and think how long they look compared to his previous clothes. I'll expect to roll up the bottoms once they're on, then be surprised when they actually fit perfectly lengthwise. It doesn't make sense to me how he can currently be tall and skinny--sort of. I'm so used to having to find short enough pants for myself that it's crazy to think I don't have to do that for Patrick right now.

What's most unusual, though, is that some of these new clothes are already getting difficult to put on Patrick. Even if they hang off his body, they only barely fit over his head. According to the growth charts, he has a low weight for a 4-month-old (his adjusted age), an average height for a 4-month-old, and an average head for a 6-month-old. His body is just growing into these new clothes while his head is already outgrowing them. Do I buy clothes to fit his head or his body? I guess it's not so bad for shirts to be too big, but the pants really can't be if I want them to stay on him. Too bad all his clothes come as outfits, so I can't piece together a larger size shirt to fit his head and smaller pants to fit his waist.

Patrick tried his first vegetable at lunch today--squash. Neither Matt nor I can stand squash, so I felt a little rotten feeding them to Patrick. Why should I make him eat something I refuse to? And what if he ends up liking them? Will I then be forced to cook them for him when I can't even stand the smell? Fortunately that is not looking like a problem right now. Patrick ate squash ok, but it was clear he did not like it. He would reluctantly open his mouth every time I brought the spoon near, just far enough for me to fit the tip of the spoon in. Then he would get this strange look on his face; it looked like a cross between a grimace and a glare. He ate the whole jar this way, then proceeded to repeatedly spit up squash. I find it unusual that all the cereal he had afterwards stayed down, and he only spits up squash. Until a few minutes ago when he went down for a nap, he was still spitting up. It clearly does not agree with him, so I think I'll postpone any more squash for another few weeks. Something tells me he won't argue.

I continued to have a headache all day yesterday, with a tiny one left over today as well, so when Matt got home yesterday, he took the majority of Patrick's care from me so I could rest. I felt good enough to get some pictures of my guys playing on the floor, though.
While at Wal-Mart as part of our date over the weekend, Matt and I picked up these balls with fun textures and colors for Patrick to play with. He's not super interested in them yet, but he'll hold on to them if Daddy puts them in his hands. It's funny when he palms them like a basketball. How did he come by that talent naturally?
They also spent some time just laughing together. It's great how they can keep each other so entertained.
Then Matt sat up with his feet on either side of Patrick. He of course used his new skill of reaching and grabbing on Matt's feet. It was so funny to watch him cling to Matt's toes the way he will our fingers. At least he didn't try to bring the toes to his mouth!

Labels: , , , ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the answer to the clothes thing is you'll have to buy things that button in front instead of go over his head!! I'm sure he'll grow into that head in time. :)

It sure is cute watching the boys play. You have lots of years to enjoy watching that. Keep the camera handy.

Blogger Lauren said...

Gotta love the "So I Married an Axe-Murderer" reference!

Don't worry, Patrick looks perfectly normal even if the charts say his head is a little big :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter