Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Monday, June 04, 2007
My Poor Baby
Sorry, no new pictures today. Keep reading, and you'll figure out why pretty quickly.

If you know Patrick's story (as most of you should, since you're related to him), you know that despite a lot of things working against him, the kid has never been sick. Okay, he had a runny nose one day when he was really little. He had a cough that lasted into a second day last summer, and I called the doctor to make sure I shouldn't worry. Other than typical preemie stuff, that's it.

So when he woke me up this morning sounding like he was choking, I panicked. I was somewhat relieved to find out he was fine and that the choking was a result of allergies, as the runny nose indicated. It appears as though our baby has his first big allergy attack. It makes sense since I'm sneezier than usual (no jokes Mom and Dad!) also. Maybe it's the weather; maybe it's the dog hair Patrick and I spent a few hours around yesterday (a long story for another day). Whatever it is, it's wreaking havoc on our household today.

Patrick is acting puny and fussy. He's obviously exhausted, a combination of not sleeping well from the congestion and the drowsy medicine he got this morning. But he doesn't want to sleep. He can't decide if he's hungry or thirsty, if he wants Mommy or wants to be alone. He can't settle and get comfortable enough to doze off. Poor kid. All I want to do is pick him up and hold him close until the tears stop.

On the bright side, I feel like a good mommy more than usual today. He has obvious needs, and I can meet them. He wants his mommy, and I can be there for him. I can hold him all day long if that's what he wants (because I'd hate that, you know). He actually fell asleep next to me on the couch earlier, with his head on the same pillow as mine and in my arms. I think that wins the prize as my favorite mommy moment of the last twenty-ish months. Although I wish more than anything that I could just take away all his discomfort and make him feel normal again, I am going to revel in his clinginess while I can and take advantage of my mommy ability to comfort him.

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Patrick. I know you are just what he wants and needs right now and I'm so glad you are there to comfort him. Tell him nana is sending a big hug and kiss. :)

Blogger Anita said...

Ah poor little guy I hate so much when they are sick and you can't help them besides the little things, when a cold needs to take its course its hard.

But the up side is you do get alot of cuddle time usually and thats the only good thing about it.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter