Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
First Sentence
I don't know. Does this count as a first sentence?

Every night when we put Patrick down for bed (and again at naptime), Matt and I repeat the same few phrases. There's "I love you" (of course) and "See you in the morning" or "See you in a little while." I always use the last one at naptime. Apparently Patrick's picked up on that one and now says it back to me when I put him down for a nap and sometimes instead of "See ya" when Matt leaves to go back to work after lunch. (Remember we've had to banish "bye" from our vocabulary because he associates it with him getting to go somewhere.)

It sounds a little more like "Seeyalilwhy," but I'm positive today that's what he said back to me before his nap. I specifically asked him to say it to me, and he did.

So what does this say about Patrick that he chose this phrase as his first sentence? He obviously knows what it means since he says it to Matt when he leaves to go back to work, and I don't think we've ever said it in that context. I guess he trusts that good-byes aren't permanent and that Mommy and Daddy will come back when we say we will. It can say that he's perfectly content being without us for a short time as well--as long as we're coming back. Can it say that we are raising a trusting and independent toddler? I hope so. I think this sentence puts a checkmark in the right column for our parenting skills. Well, that and the fact that he's never said a curse word in public yet!

Labels:



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! He is getting so smart. Before we know it he will be having whole conversations -- the kind we can all understand! :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like each day is a new experience with Patrick. He is learning so fast.
Won't be long until he will be talking on the phone. Really enoying the blog. Love

Blogger Lynanne said...

Yeah for patrick!

I never thought about what I say when I put my daughter down for a nap. I usually say "night night, sleep tight," but it really isn't nightime, is it? How confused she must be!

And does "frog" count as a curse word in public if everyone else thinks she's saying the f-word?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear the news on Patrick, I wonder what he will say when he sees his little brother??? I agree with grammy, I can't wait until I can hold a conversation on the phone!! He'll have to have his "own phone" so his grandparents can call him all the time.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter