Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Saturday, January 28, 2006
A Change of Scenery
Although the teething tips are starting to roll in (thanks to all who have contributed!), Matt and I haven't made it to the store to try any yet. That means that the incessant crying has started to take its toll on us. Last night we were both at our wits' end, so Matt suggested just going driving, just for the change of scenery. It ended up being a wonderful idea for several reasons. It helped both of our moods to do something different. Downtown Houston was beautiful last night, with low clouds ahead of today's "cold" front resting atop the taller buildings. We also got to see areas of the city that we don't typically venture into. In addition, the drive put Patrick right to sleep. He didn't fuss at all, waiting to start again until we got back in the house. That hour and a half of peace and adult conversation returned Matt's and my sanity and prepared us to deal with a fussy baby again for the rest of the evening.

Patrick had a rough night, though. He slept reasonably well until about 5 am when he woke up screaming. Neither Matt or I had any idea what was wrong. He had his last meal of the night later than normal, so he shouldn't be hungry that early. It might have been the teething, but it was hard to tell. Matt rocked him for a while, and he fell back to sleep. When he woke up to eat several hours later, I discovered what the problem must have been. For the first time, he woke up covered in his own urine. Apparently the diaper can only hold so much. I bet he was uncomfortable being wet, and not just in the diaper area. I guess from now on we need to check that a little sooner when he wakes up crying in the middle of the night. Chalk that one up to inexperience!

Today has been a better day so far. I got to have a playtime/smile-fest with him earlier. He normally doesn't smile at my attempts at baby-talk and play, just his daddy's. I felt really special that he showed me the same affection. THAT must be one of those rewarding times everyone tells me makes teething, etc. worth it. He only got fussy from the teething pain a little while ago. We finally tried baby Tylenol. Why the heck didn't we try that sooner?! He got quiet just a few minutes later and is now sleeping comfortably with his daddy. We will still probably try all the other suggestions later too, but this is working for now.

Expect another picture or two later. I've been avoiding taking pictures of him the last few days, because I haven't wanted everyone to see just how fussy he's been. I caught him during his smiley time earlier, though, so I might have some pictures worth posting now. Check back later for those!

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter