Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Friday, January 20, 2006
Dwindling Intellect
Patrick slept nine hours almost straight last night! He only woke up once, and all I had to do was stick his pacifier back in his mouth to get him to fall back asleep. He's been a pretty happy baby this morning because of how well he slept. Thank goodness!

On an entirely different topic, I think motherhood is making me stupider. I've noticed my slow intellectual decline since just before Patrick was born. I've had greater difficulty finding the words I'm looking for, I don't think about very abstract subjects anymore, and I've even lost some of my passion for reading intelligent, challenging books. Matt suspects there is a biological reason behind it. Perhaps the fatty acids (or whatever exactly it is) that Patrick needs to encourage his intellectual development come from what I have stored up to support my own needs. In effect, I am feeding him my smarts through my milk. I have an alternate theory, though, that may work with Matt's idea. The sleep deprivation that comes with having a new baby must surely get in the way of any intelligent ideas. And when I am awake and not too tired, I am usually on a one-track mind--taking care of Patrick. I just don't have the time to stimulate my mind much. It's kind of sad. I've gone from discussing onomatopoeia and subordinate clauses (I used to teach English) to commenting on poopies and farts.

I finally figured out last night how to put some pictures on my blog, so you can expect to see some new ones later. Of course, they'll pretty much all be of Patrick. He's the cute one, after all! If you want to see more, visit our family's website (under "my home page" along the side).

Labels:



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sleep deprivation, chemical changes... and living through the mind of a 3-month old! : )

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Counter